The Greater Richmond Chorus was chartered in 1977 and is the only certified barbershop women’s chorus in the Greater Richmond Area. We are part of Sweet Adelines International and a member of Region 14 Heart of the Blue Ridge, which is home to Sweet Adelines chapters in Virginia, Tennessee, North and South Carolina, and Georgia. We are a non-profit 501(c)3 organization that relies on membership dues and donations from the community to support our mission. .
The chorus has medaled in the regional contest multiple times, including six times as Regaional Champion. As the Regional champions, GRC has competed on the International Stage with choruses from all over the world at our annual Sweet Adelines International Convention. See the list in the Accomplishments section below for more details.
Chorus members come from the communities of Richmond, Henrico, Midlothian, and Chesterfield, as well as more distant areas such as Prince George, Hopewell, Dinwiddie, Goochland, Stafford, Reedville, Newport News, and Virginia Beach. Membership ranges from teenagers to women over 80 years old and are diverse in cultural backgrounds.
In our efforts to provide musical education to our community, the Greater Richmond Chorus has performed throughout the Richmond metropolitan area for public and private events including the Landmark Theater, Glen Allen Cultural Arts Center, Steward School, Collegiate School, University of Richmond Modlin Center, Virginia War Memorial, Dogwood Dell, Maymont, the Diamond, Pocahontas State Park, and the Jefferson Hotel. Performances outside of the Richmond area include Williamsburg, Petersburg, Emporia, Fluvanna County, and the Northern Neck
The Greater Richmond Chorus (GRC) of Sweet Adelines International (SAI) is a communitybased, nonprofit organization of women singers dedicated to advancing the musical art form of barbershop a cappella four-part harmony through vocal and showmanship education, performance, competition, and community service. Our
Greater Richmond Chorus’ vision is to develop the musical talents of our members as we provide high quality entertainment for and service to the greater Richmond community, and to cultivate, support, and mentor female vocalists of all ages. The focus of Greater Richmond Chorus is to engage the greater Richmond community in supporting this group of diverse and talented women with in-kind and financial contributions to further our efforts in acquainting a larger audience with the rich art form of barbershop harmony.
The list below reflects our medal-winning performances at the Region #14 Contest and Convention as well as our partici[ation in the Sweet Adelines' International Contest and Convention:
- 1998 Region #14 1st Place Medalist
- 1999 International Competitor - Atlanta
- 2001 Region #14 1st Place Medalist, 1st Place Division AA (Mid-size Chorus)
- 2002 International Competitor – Nashville
- 2005 Region #14 1st Place Medalist
- 2006 International Competitor – Las Vegas
- 2007 Region #14 1st Place Medalist
- 2008 International Competitor - Honolulu
- 2009 Region #14 1st Place Medalist
- 2010 International Competitor - Seattle
- 2011 Region #14 2nd Place Medalist
- 2012 Region #14 2nd Place Medalist
- 2013 Region #14 1st Place Medalist
- 2014 International Competitor – Baltimore
- 2015 Region #14 5th Place Medalist
- 2016 Region #14 4th Place Medalist & 1st Place Division AA (Mid-size Chorus)
- 2017 Region #14 3rd Place Division AA (Mid-size Chorus)